move location

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
leo-magic

move location

Post by leo-magic »

Hi!

I have done this steps for moving my database on an external hd:

1. In the Finder, go to ~/Music/kJams/
2. Drag that entire folder (the one called "kJams") to your external volume. Delete the original afterwards.
3. On that other volume, select the newly copied "kJams" folder and make an alias.
4. Drag that alias into your ~/Music/ folder, make sure you rename the alias so it just says "kJams", not "kJams alias"
5. Now, on all the machines you plan to use this library with, plug in the drive then launch kJams. Go to preferences->advanced, and click the "Change..." button to set the library location to the new place (pick "kJams Music" from inside the "kJams" folder, from where you placed it in step 2)

Does I have to leave the alias?? When I delete the Alias, kJams creates a new folder "kJams" in my ~/Music folder and only the songs from the music stores are in the library...

Thanks for your help!
Léo

dave
Site Admin

Re: move location

Post by dave »

umm yes, step 4 says put the alias in your music folder. if you skip that step, then it won't work. that's why i put that step in there :)

leo-magic

Post by leo-magic »

No, I mean: after the hole process (all steps), have I to leave the alias? If I delete it, kJams creates a new folder named kJams in my Music folder...

Leo

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

yes, yes you have to do step 4 and leave it there. there is NO step 6 which says "now undo step 4"

gsteffens

Post by gsteffens »

Dave,

I don't know if this is what Leo is referring to but I still had the "kjams alias" left on my external drive from step 3 even after I dragged and dropped it (step 4) into my ~/Music folder locally and then renamed it to "kjams". So I had the same question of whether or not I could delete the kjams alias link on my external drive. I deleted it and it all still works fine so I'm assuming that it was okay.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

oh, YES, the leftover alias from step 3 can be deleted!